Sunday, January 23, 2011

Samoan tourists to Jerusalem witness the Lords Prayer in their own language

Samoan tourists to Jerusalem today can witness the Lord's Prayer in Samoan written, according to Archbishop George H. Pearce, on tableaus of ceramic tiles found in the monastery gardens on the walls of the chapel near the Mount of Olives close to the spot where Jesus is said to have given that precious prayer to his disciples.

George Pearce tells the story to mark the occasion of the 85th birthday of my late father Vavae Toma in the book TUSITUSIGA O LE TALALELEI e Vavae Toma FS, that I compiled for the occasion 24 April 2000.

"Talofa Vavae" by Archbishop George H. Pearce (Known to Samoans as Patele Ameto)

When the Catholic bishops of the world were called to Rome in September, 1962, to take part in the Second Vatican Council, I took the opportunity to make a ten-day pilgrimage to the holy Land. this was a precious God-given opportunity to walk in Jesus footsteps, ending up on Mount Zion where I would ask the Father in his name to send down the HLy Spirit on the "council fathers", as they gathered on Vatican Hill.

While there in Jerusalem, one of the Franciscan Friars with whom I was staying offered to drive me to some of the places of pilgrimage. As we whisked along on our way, I caught sight of someone walking along the side of the road. The face appeared to be that of a dear old friend but the clothing was European. "Say, that looked like Vavae Toma!" I said to my Franciscan friend, explaining to him who he was..."but I'm sure I'm just imagining things"

"It would be a pity if you didn't give it a try," said the friar as he made a precipitous u-turn.

"Well", I said, "I'll call out to him in Samoan and if I get a blank stare I'll know I was wrong"......."Talofa Vavae!" I shouted and we pulled near. And then it was his turn to be jolted! For it was indeed Vavae.

It turned out that he was on his way to a meeting of the World Council of Churches, in Geneva, Switzerland. I think we both realized at that moment that our chance meeting was no coincidence but rather, as they say, a God-incidence. We had met not far from the spot where Jesus had prayed,


"Lo'u Tama e, ua o'o mai le aso... E le fa'apito la'u tatalo mo i latou nei, a o i latou fo'i e fa'atuatua ia te a'u ona o la latou upu; ina ia tasi i latou uma, fa'apei o oe le Tama o i totonu ia te a'u,o a'u fo'i i totonu ia te oe, ia tasi i latou i totonu ia te i taua." (Ioane 17).


And here we were, both of us unbeknown to the other, treding in the footsteps of Jesus, as we prepared to repeat that very prayer in Geneva and Rome!

As we continued our pilgrimage together, we went to the Carmelite Monastery of the "Pater Noster", located on the Mount of Olives close to the spot where Jesus is said to have given his disciples that precious prayer. On the interior of the walls of the monastery garden and in the chapel, there had been set up on tableaus of beautiful ceramic tiles, the Lord's Prayer in many many languages of the world. But not in Samoan...at least not yet!

Naturally both of us had but one thought. And as I completed arrangements with the Carmelite Sisters to have the "Lo matou Tama e" join the rest of God's family, Vavae thrust a generous gift into my hands saying, "And this will be the very first contribution." Probably Vavae's left hand never told his right, but at the age of eighty-five I'm sure he won't be too upset at my releasing this bit of classified information!

For two thousand years now, and in every tongue on earth, the whole Christian familyhas been sending up to the Father in the Holy Spirit, this precious prayer of his Son Jesus.

I pray with you Vavae, and with all God's family on earth, that in this Jubilee Year, the Father's Kingdom, in its fullness, may come on earth as it is in heaven!

MANUIA LOU ASO FANAU VAVAE!

Patele Ameto - 1 January 2000

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home